Coming Soon to 149 E. Water Street in Sandusky, Ohio
The upcoming launch of the Family Health Services Medical Center and Pharmacy at 149 E. Water Street marks a significant milestone for residents of the Erie County community, who have long struggled with a lack of access to quality healthcare services. This new medical facility is poised to make a profound impact on the health and well-being of this community. For many years, residents of the Erie County community have traveled long distances or gone without medical care due to a shortage of healthcare providers in the area, and as a result there are higher rates of chronic illness, preventable health problems, and other negative health outcomes.
The Family Health Services Medical Center and Pharmacy is set to change that. With state-of-the-art facilities, and a team of experienced and compassionate medical professionals, the medical center will provide much-needed access to primary and preventative care services, as well as specialized care for chronic illnesses like diabetes and heart disease. In addition to these essential services, the medical center will also offer mental health services and substance abuse treatment programs, addressing the growing need for mental health support in the community. The center will also offer a full-scale pharmacy, as well as free transportation to and from patient appointments.
The opening of this new medical facility represents a turning point for the Erie County community, offering a glimmer of hope and a promise of better health outcomes for years to come. Those who have struggled with access to healthcare in the past, can look forward to receiving the care and support they need to enjoy happier, healthier lives.
The Family Health Services Medical Center and Pharmacy is a testament to the power of community collaboration and commitment to improving the lives of those who live and work in underserved areas. Firelands Health continues to be a substantial collaborative partner for FHS and our success. Renovations are currently set to be completed in February 2024! We look forward to seeing the many positive impacts this center will have on the health and well-being of the Erie County community in the years to come.
Family Health Services Medical Center & Pharmacy
Our mission is to continue to provide outstanding and affordable patient care in an area that has historically been medically underserved. Our vision is to expand the newly created programs to our new satellite locations and increase access to EVERYONE. To complete this vision, we are asking for your help! A gift from you or your organization may help a patient with food insecurity access fresh, healthy produce to help treat a medical disorder, it may help provide transportation for a patient to attend a medical appointment they otherwise would have missed, or it may help with the renovations on the new building that will provide medical access to hundreds of individuals who desperately need it! Please help us continue to serve this amazing community that we are immensely proud to be a part of.
History of the Granary Building
This building has a long history as a commercial property. The exterior is limestone covered with mastic, a form of cement used as protection or weatherproofing of masonry. The High Victorian styling includes bracketed eaves and arched braiding over the upper windows. A signboard is indented between the upper floors. Notice the iron posts at the street door.
From 1860 to the late 1880s, William Robertson (and later his sons) ran a wholesale grocery store at what was once known as 611 and 613 Water Steet. While Mr. Robertson was originally from Northumberland, England, his neighbors in 1886 were of German descent. The Active Turners met on the second floor of Fisher’s Hall to the east of Robertson’s Grocery, and the Turner Hall Hotel was just down the street, as seen in this 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.
In the early 1890s, George and John Esch ran a store that sold draperies and carpets at 611 and 613 Water Street. From 1898 to 1908, T.C. Adams, and later his son Robert Adams, sold flour and feed at 611 Water Street. Many local residents will recall that the Gallagher Brothers ran a granary at this location from about 1911 until 1950. The business operated as an outlet for Gallagher’s Mill in Venice, Ohio. In 1915 the street number was changed to 149 East Water Street. From the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s the Merrill Mank Plumbing Company was in business here. For a time, Lake Erie Rusco sold storm doors and windows at this location.
Click an image below to view updates on interior construction. The estimated date of completion for this project is in Fall 2023. Be sure to check back often to stay updated on the latest!
We appreciate your consideration to donate to Family Health Services. Your donation will support our mission to provide quality, affordable health care to all in our community and surrounding areas. Any donation above $250 will be recognized with a receipt.